Ajay Piramal is a founder of Piramal Healthcare born on 3rd August 1955. He is amongst the Top 50 richest people in India. Under his leadership has grown on to become a diversified multinational corporation, which has a presence across 100 countries across various sectors such as pharmaceuticals, packaging, financial services and real estate.
He has done Masters in Management Studies from the Jamanalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, and has also completed his Advanced Management Programme from Harvard Business School (USA).
Today, he is also sits on the Board of Directors of several companies which include – Piramal Enterprises Ltd, Piramal Life Sciences Limited, Piramal Glass Ltd., Allergan India Limited, Indirect Fund Advisors Pvt Ltd., India Venture Advisors Pvt Ltd., Piramal Sunteck Realty Pvt Ltd., etc. And he is also the Chairman of ‘Pratham’ – the largest NGO in the education sector in India, which reaches out to 33 million children through its “Read India” campaign.
He established the Piramal foundation which is the innovative solutions that resolves issues related to Healthcare, Education, water and women empowerment. This has made positive difference to millions of people improving access to primary healthcare in government schools and for generating livelihood for rural women.
Apart from corporate activities, he is also actively helps the Indian Government at various levels like: –
- Member of Hon’ble Prime Minister’s Task Force on Pharmaceuticals & Knowledge-Based Industries.
- Member of the Council for Trade & Industry,
- Member of the Board of Trade Constituted by the Ministry of Commerce.
- Member of the Central board of directors of State Bank of India.
Acquisitions and expansions of piramal healthcare:-
- The acquisition of Ceylon Company Ltd in Sri Lanka in 1999
- The acquisition of Pfizer’s UK manufacturing facility called Morpeth in 2006
- A deal with Merck for development and discovery of new drugs in 2007
- A second drug development deal with Eli Lilly in 2008
- Formation of ‘Piramal foundation’, a philanthropic arm of the group
- Change of name from Nicholas Laboratories to Piramal Healthcare Limited
- Formation of their own real estate entity, Piramal Realty
- Purchase of a 5.5% stake in Vodafone India for 07 billion
- Acquisition of ‘Abacus International’ in 2012. A UK-based global market access solutions company for many of the world’s leading healthcare companies.
- Acquisition of the brand ‘Caladryl’ (a skin care product) in India by Piramal Enterprises.
Achievements of Ajay Piramal:-
- Nominated for the Forbes Philanthropy Awards (2013)
- Received the Kriyasheel Global Achievers Award (2010)
- Received the “India Innovator of the Year” Award by CNBC TV (2008)
- Awarded as the “Entrepreneur of the Year” by the UK Trade & Investment Council (2006)
- Received the “Entrepreneur of the Year award” by Ernst & Young (2004)
- Won the “CEO of the Year Award” by World Strategy Forum (1999)
Five Lessons in the Life of Ajay Piramal ‘India’s Warren Buffett’:-
- He has experienced failure.
- He knows how to diversify.
- He’s humble.
- He’s very spiritual.